Works underway - Progress report
The Totnes Heritage Trust, working with St Mary’s Church, has a phased project delivery plan and has recently received funding for the first phase of the project, being the extremely urgent external conservation work to the church. The work commenced on the tower in November 2020
and scaffolding is being erected to enable work to start on the remainder of the exterior of the Grade 1 Listed Building. The work is programmed to finish by the end of March 2021.
The Next Phase
The Totnes Heritage Trust, with the church is now planning the next phase of the project. Plans are being prepared to refurbish and reorder the interior in order to create one of the largest community spaces in Totnes. A space that is accessible and flexible for a wide range of events and uses such as performing arts and exhibitions, as well as maintaining the building as a sacred place.
John Birch, Chair of the Trust, says “We are passionate for more local community groups to use the space that will be created by the reordering.
Our vision for St Mary’s is for it to be an inspiring, flexible and fit-for-purpose facility for people in Totnes and the surrounding area, and our thousands of visitors each year. We will do this by improving the interior, making the building a light, warm, welcoming place at the heart of our community”
Focus on the arts
Although Totnes has a lively and thriving local Arts scene, there is a lack of a large, flexible concert and exhibition space. Because of its excellent acoustics and stunning surroundings, St Mary’s is a highly desirable venue for public events.
Phase 2 - What is planned?
· Fixed pews in the church will be replaced with a more flexible seating arrangement,
· The existing uneven and cracked nave floor will be replaced with beautiful new stone flooring
· Installation of an efficient and effective new heating and lighting system worthy of a community facility
· Construction of new catering facilities and toilet accommodation
· Installation of audio visual provision to allow for live streaming